• Home
  • News
  • Proposed Compost Site Draws Opposition From Supervisor

Proposed Compost Site Draws Opposition From Supervisor

November 23, 2014

(Milford)– A proposal that would result in a compost operation being located on county-owned property near Calvary Cemetary west of Milford is getting a cold reception from a Dickinson county supervisor. David Gottsche says the operation would be unsightly and stink. But June Goldman differed, saying she can’t think of a place that would object less to an odor than a cemetary.

The county has an opportunity to lease the 40-acre site to a farmer.

The cities of Wahpeton, West Okoboji, Milford, Arnolds Park and Okoboji have been eyeing it as a possible site to compost yard waste, leaves and twigs. The D-N-R has recently closed sites the cities had been using to get rid of those items, saying it wants them to adopt a compost system instead.

County Engineer Dan Eckert told the supervisors Tuesday there are several issues on such an operation that should be addressed before any further consideration is given. They include a lease agreement, restoration of the property should the compost operation cease to exist in the future, fencing, operations, insurance, and so on.

The supervisors said they’ll withold action until a formal proposal addressing those issues is made by the cities.