• Home
  • News
  • Spirit Lake Man Enters Plea In Kidnapping Case

Spirit Lake Man Enters Plea In Kidnapping Case

November 23, 2014

(Spirit Lake)– A Spirit Lake man has pleaded guilty to reduced charges for holding a woman against her will in his basement a year ago.

34-year-old Wade LeRoy Gardner was originally charged with kidnapping in the first degree.

Appearing this (Tues.) afternoon in Dickinson county district court, Gardner pleaded guilty to kidnapping in the third degree, a class “C” felony; and willful injury, a class “D” felony.

Appearing before Judge David Lester, Gardner told the court he held the victim, Deb McDonald, against her will on or about July 8th through July 18th of last year. Gardner told the judge he dragged McDonald down the basement stairs, put handcuffs on her, and gagged her mouth. Gardner also admitted to headbutting McDonald, resulting in a gash to her forehead he estimated to be a quarter of an inch to a half inch long.

Gardner also today (Tues.) pleaded guilty to a charge of assault with a dangerous weapon, an aggravated misdemeanor. That charge stems from an incident on or about April 22nd of this year. Gardner told Judge Lester he assaulted his father and threatened to shoot his vehicle parked in a garage in an effort to blow it up. Gardner said he displayed a loaded shotgun during the incident.

Judge Lester accepted the pleas and ordered a pre-sentence investigation. Sentencing was set for 9:00 a.m. September 16th in Dickinson County District Court.

Gardner was originally scheduled to go on trial on the charges next week.