• Home
  • News
  • Threat Results In Sheryl Maahs Relays Being Canceled

Threat Results In Sheryl Maahs Relays Being Canceled

November 23, 2014

(Spirit Lake)– The Sheryl Maahs Relays scheduled for today (Tuesday) have been canceled.

As of 7:00 a.m. this (Tues.) morning, three of the six teams that were scheduled to compete had dropped out. A fourth canceled at mid-morning, and the decision was made to cancel the meet.

Spirit Lake school officials expressed thanks to the neighboring Okoboji district for staying pat in saying they would compete. Okoboji Athletic Director Rod Lockey says he thought it was important to lend moral support to Spirit Lake. Lockey says he left the final decision up to the girls on the Okoboji team, and he says they were ready to compete. He says many of the girls were disappointed upon learning the meet had been canceled.

Meanwhile, Spirit Lake police say they have no new major developments to report in their investigation.

Threats against certain female athletes at Spirit Lake High School have been ongoing for months and have recently escalated, according to school and law enforcement officials.

Girls District and Conference track meets are scheduled to be held next week…also in Spirit Lake. No word yet if they’ll be moved as a result of the situation.