• Home
  • News
  • Burial Of Telephone Lines To Cost Okoboji More Than $200,000

Burial Of Telephone Lines To Cost Okoboji More Than $200,000

November 23, 2014

(Okoboji)– On a vote of four-to-one, the Okoboji City Council earlier this week decided to authorize the burial of telephone lines…at the city’s expense.

City Administrator Dennis Daly says based on a proposal from Qwest Communications, it’s going to cost the city 226-thousand dollars. Daly says the work will be done yet this season. Otherwise, he says the cost would soar to more than 400-thousand dollars.

The city is having to foot the bill after losing a lawsuit that would have required Qwest Communications bury the lines at its expense.

Sharlene Eckard cast the lone no vote. She’s concerned the city doesn’t have a bid in writing.

Most electric lines in the city have already been placed underground.

The city council several years ago adopted an ordinance requiring utility lines be placed underground to improve aesthetics.