(Spencer)– Another failed attempt at contesting results of the Spencer Middle School Bond Issue Election.
On Monday a group presented a multiple page document to the Clay County Auditor’s Office declaring their intention to contest the results of the special election April 20th. Some members of the same group demanded a recount of the election results back on May 6th. The results of that recount came back the same as the count election night.
Now, the group’s second attempt at contesting the election has been denied. Clay County Attorney Mike Zenor says the filing by the citizens was incomplete and the time for filing a contest had expired. Under Iowa Code, anyone wishing to contest an election must also file a security bond with the Auditor to pay for the recount. Zenor says the group did not present a bond within the required time period.
Zenor added that even if the contest had been filed on time, it would have had no merit.
The group was alleging that Clay County Auditor Marge Pitts released the results of absentee ballots to the media before the polls closed April 20th. Pitts has denied the allegation, saying her office released no results until after the polls closed. Members of the media have also confirmed they did not receive any results until after the polls had closed.
The April 20th election was for a four million dollar bond issue to help finance a new middle school in Spencer. The measure passed with nearly 62 percent of residents voting in favor.
(Story from Danielle Hitchings of sister station KDWD Hot 100 in Spencer.).




