• Home
  • News
  • Okoboji School Projects May Be Delayed Due To Economic Downturn

Okoboji School Projects May Be Delayed Due To Economic Downturn

November 23, 2014

(Milford)– The Okoboji School District continues to look at possible improvements to the High school and Elementary buildings.

Superintendent Quentin Reifenrath says the elementary committee met late last week and reviewed plans to build onto the southeast side of the existing building. The addition would contain four more classrooms and some administrative offices. The committee directed the architect to draw up more detailed plans to be reviewed at their next meeting October 4th.

Reifenrath says the high school building committee continues to look at plans for a new gym with a lobby, weightrooms and locker rooms. He says preliminary plans were reviewed by the committee late last week…but the estimated cost was higher than what’s been budgeted. As a result, the plans were sent back to the architect for downsizing.

Reifenrath says the district plans to spend about two million dollars on the elementary project and one and-a-half million on the high school. The projects would be funded through local option sales tax proceeds. But, in light of uncertainty following the September 11th terrorist attacks, Reifenrath says there’s a possibility the projects could be delayed a few years.

The committees will continue to meet in the meantime and are expected to report to the school board next month.