• Home
  • News
  • Proposed Sewer Project Stirs Controversy In Spencer

Proposed Sewer Project Stirs Controversy In Spencer

November 23, 2014

(Spencer)– A sewer project on the east side of downtown Spencer is generating some controversy.

About 25 percent of affected property owners objected to the proposal at a public hearing earlier this week.

The city council has tabled action on whether to proceed with the project to March 4th.

City Manager Dean Torresen says the project has an estimated cost of 1.92 million dollars. Plans call for separate lines to be installed for storm and sanitary waste water. Currently, the combined wastewater travels through one line. Torresen says during heavy rainfall, the city is sometimes forced to bypass waste water into the Little Sioux River to try to prevent it from backing up into businesses.

A portion of the cost of the project would be assessed to property owners.