News

Officials Remind Everyone To Get Their Furnaces Inspected As Many Are Turning Them On Already For The First Time Of The Season

Wed 9-9-2020

(Spirit Lake)-- The much colder than normal temperatures we're experiencing has many people turning on their furnace for the first time of the season. That has officials issuing a reminder about the importance of getting your furnace checked by a professional. Assistant Spirit Lake Fire Chief Chris Hoerichs says it's important to make sure your furnace is functioning properly to avoid any dangers associated with carbon monoxide...which can be deadly...Chris Hoerichs01 

"It's recommended that for, especially around this time of year that gas and oil furnaces be inspected every year. It's also recommended that detectors be installed near sleeping areas in your home. And just like smoke detectors, C O detectors should be checked monthly. Change the batteries every six months and and remember to replace those old detectors. We see a lot of really old detectors in homes when we come out for some of the C O calls."

Hoerichs says the Spirit Lake Fire Department responded to a call this morning at A & K Mobile Home park in Spirit Lake where a CO detector was going off...Chris Hoerichs02 

"There was elevated C O in the home. For a precaution we checked the homeowners, or the residents of the home, and everyone checked out."

Hoerichs says if it hadn't been for the fact the home had a working carbon monoxide detector in it, the circumstances could have been much worse...Chris Hoerichs03 

"The C O detectors operate on a time scale, so that if there is a lot of C O very quickly the alarm will go off. If there is a low amount it can take quite a long time for the alarm to go off, so the C O detector doesn't just alert on high levels. It actually alerts on low levels as well."

Symptoms of possible carbon monoxide exposure include nausea, dizziness and sleepiness. Hoerichs says it's important you call 911 if you experience such symptoms.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas which at high levels, can be deadly.