New Proclamation Issued Today (Wed.) By Governor Reynolds Re-Opens Campgrounds This Friday, May 8th
(Des Moines)-- Governor Kim Reynolds today (Wed.) signed a proclamation that reopens campgrounds in the state effective this Friday, May 8th.
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources says state campgrounds will open at 8:00 am Friday (May 8th) to campers with self-contained restrooms only. The DNR says reservations will go into effect at 11:00 am Monday, May 11th, and that their reservation system will begin accepting reservations beginning at 9:00 am Friday, May 8th. They say all other reservations will continue as reserved beginning May 15th, unless otherwise notified directly by the DNR. The agency says reservations scheduled from May 8th-14th will NOT be honored because refunds have already been issued for that timeframe.
DNR officials say they expect a large influx of campers and that parks staff will be closely monitoring those areas to make sure gatherings are not larger than 10 people. They say social distancing will also be enforced.
A number of other guidelines will also be in place:
- Visitors will not be allowed in campgrounds, only those occupying the campsites
- Campfires at the individual campsites will be limited to campers occupying the campsites
- There will be a limit of 6 occupants per campsite unless the immediate family contains more than 6
- Some pit latrines are now open in busier day use areas
- All modern restrooms and shower buildings, including water fountains, remain closed
- Communal picnic tables and grills are open for use at your own risk
- Playgrounds, day-use rental lodges and shelter houses remain closed
- Cabins, yurts and shelter houses remain closed
- Visitors centers, nature centers and museums within state parks remain closed
- Beaches remain open but are being closely monitored
- Some campgrounds may be closed due to construction or maintenance
The proclamation also allows drive-in theatres, tanning facilities and medical spas to reopen.
The proclamation is effective at 5:00 am May 8th.