Fire At Okoboji Apartment Complex Leaves Several People Without A Home
(Okoboji)-- A fire has temporarily left some residents of an Okoboji apartment complex without a place to live.
Arnolds Park-Okoboji Fire Chief Chris Yungbluth says firefighters were called to 1301 Country Club Drive in Okoboji a little after noon Sunday where the encountered heavy fire coming the exterior decks on the second and third floor of the building, with the fire entering an upstairs apartment. The blaze was brought under control after about a half hour. Firefighters remained on the scene several hours extinguishing hot spots and assisting residents in removing salvageable items from their apartments.
Yungbluth says the building sustained considerable damage and that all residents in the building have been displaced. He says five of the six apartments had tenants in them. All managed to get out safely and there were no injuries reported. Two cats were also safely removed.
The cause of the fire was determined to be improperly discarded smoking materials.
Authorities say some, but not all of the tenants had renters insurance, and the owner of the building indicated it was insured.
The Spirit Lake Fire Department assisted on the scene, along with the Okoboji and Arnolds Park Police Departments, the Dickinson County Sheriff's Office, Dickinson County Emergency Management and the American Red Cross, which offered shelter and food for those displaced by the fire.